Pages

Monday 28 November 2011

Rods&Reels Autumn Series Packington Somers 6th November

After missing the last round of the Rods&Reels series at Maynes Fishery, Stoke Golding due to family commitments the next round of the Rods&Reels series saw me down at Packington Somers on Molands Lake. Having never fished it before I was going into this round blind. Having a look at the results in the Angling Times and on the net it was either being won with pole and pellet or method feeder tight to the far bank.
Having found my way down there and yep you guessed it having a fry up (anyone see a pattern developing here?) it was a matter of waiting round for the lads and the draw.
In went the hand and out came peg 25 happy days I thought as this was one of the pegs I fancied after having a walk around and had some form from what I had been told.
After collecting my kit and carting it down to my peg (remembering my trolley system this time round!!) I took 5 minutes out to have a look at the peg in a bit more detail. With the far bank being about 20-24 meters away I planned on a feeder and bomb approach to the far bank, so out came my Browning commercial force 12ft feeder and 10ft bomb rods it wasn’t long before I had gauged the distance after a few casts and clipped up both rods.
The feeder rod would be set up with a 0.16mm mainline with a inline Browning Kobra method feeder to a 0.14mm 4 inch hook length size 18 PR 36 hook hair rigged.
As for the bomb rod this was set up with a free running Browning Hybrid bomb with a 1ft hook length same as the feeder set up a PR 36 size 18 hook hair rigged for pellet and corn.
As for the pole I planned on fishing 11 meters out setting up a Hillbilly F1 wire taking 5x10 stotz with a bulk 1ft from the hook with 2 droppers. Line of choice was as always Browning Cenex 0.16mm main line to a 0.14mm 6 inch hook length to a Tubertini 808 size 16 hook. For feed this was to be my chopped worm and caster line and was to be used as a back up should the fish not be on the far bank.
On hearing the all in it was straight onto my pole line with a big cup of chopped worm and caster with a few dampened down micro pellets added to the mix just to keep the fish searching for the feed and hopefully keep um in the peg longer. Then it was straight onto my feeder lines to see what was on the far bank. After an hour with no indications of any fish on the far bank I did a bit of searching in the cut outs on the far bank with my bomb rod to see if they were around. After another 30 minutes and still no fish I decided to cut my losses and move onto the pole line as the far bank wasn’t producing for anyone else either and where as they were happy to stick it out on the tip I wanted to change.
I had been watching the pole line and could see signs of fish feeding on the baited area so it was now time to get my head down and catch whatever was feeding. This is one reason this time of the year I will always set up a worm and caster line as it catches everything that swims and has got me out of jail a few times when conditions are hard.
Within a minute of the float settling I was into a nice 3lb tench and it wasn’t long before it was in the net. Next put in saw me land another 2lb tench and in quick succession was in the net. At least I was on the score board with a few or two and now felt more relaxed. With not much else going on within the match I had a feeling 30lb would win. So I just kept plugging away at the pole line taking small F1’s to about a pound at a steady pace whilst other anglers sat watching their tips. I could see now that one of the lads had also started catching on his pole line. So I decided to force the peg a little more by feeding another big cup of worm and caster which in the end I came to regret later on. Reason being my swim went dead it was as if the fish had backed off due to me re-feeding. It took another 30-40 minutes before the fish turned up again and I now felt that I had blown any chance of winning the match let alone framing in it. I look back now and still kick myself for being so aggressive in feeding and forcing the peg when conditions were hard and the fish didn’t want to feed to much, that alone should of told me to go carefully but me being me and the nature of angler I am that some times gets put to the back of my mind. With the all out being called I was frustrated with myself for doing what I did. When the weigh in came round I couldn’t believe how low the weights were on went my fish to give me 23lb odd being beaten by 24lb to leave me in second. But with another lad having 34lb it pushed me down into third place overall. Not bad considering I had messed the peg up but I had put enough fish in the net to get me a result.
Must remember to go steady and to read the water more one thing I can at times forget and being an inpatient and aggressive angler I need to calm slightly down this time of year as the weather gets cooler. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment