Pages

Monday 9 February 2009

Back to the canal Bishops Canning 14th Jan 09

Well the next match saw me down on the canal again this time i wanted to improve on my earlier result in the first match.
This saw me down on the canal a few times once on Pewsey turning bay once on Wilcot road and once down to Bishops Canning to get a feel for the place.
With the weather temps dropping and ice being every where i decided to do away with ground bait squat and pinkies and to purely concentrate on the art of punched bread fishing as this is what i thought stood the best chance of winning at least the section if not the match.
Having played around with a crumb mix and also liquidized bread i opted for the liquidized kind as this looked as if it could give me the advantage.
After having practise sessions on the Peswey stretch i went down to the stretch that we would be fishing on the Saturday before the match on the Wednesday.
Having had a good day learning one or two things i was happy with the up and coming match.
Well match day came and doing the usual have a breckie and keep my ear out some of the methods that were going to be fished had me slightly puzzled?
Oh well come the draw bag i managed to pull C section drawing one peg of the end peg and it was looking good when i got there. Sticking to the bread i had a line 3 meters out using a Tubertini stix 4x10 and i had a line down the track 6-7 meters out same again Tubertini Stix this time 4x12 as with there being a slight tow i thought this one would do the trick.
All in called and a away i went (on my practise day i had on this stretch i noticed you had to feed quite often for your bites) so i kept that in mind and started of with slight caution so i could see how things developed it didn't take long before the fish started coming out the only drama was in all my practise sessions i had used one kind of bread on the hook not thinking before i went out that morning i pick up some bread which was a different make which in my eyes cost me a fair few fish. Reason being it wasn't coming out of the bread punch and when it did it didn't fluff up in the water it just stayed as a bread pellet the fish were biting but were backing off. This was turning into a bit of a distaster as i was losing half the fish i was catching I ended up switching between the two line more than i wanted this i feel was because of the bread on the hook.
Half way through the match it went dead lucky enough I had set up another rig and line to fish off down to the right of me just in case the fish move of my other two lines they were there thank god and off i went again.
With the bread on the hook being in my eyes shit i thought i had blown it and wouldn't be in the frame as there were some good canal anglers fishing in my section however i kept on going steadily catching fish switching now between three lines instead of two.
In the end i managed to get a total weight of 1 kilo 225 grams i thought i had blown it but it was enough for section second and a sigh of relief as i thought i had blown it.
By the looks of things certain people realised the bread was doing the damage and switched over to it but not in time to catch up i stuck to my guns and carried out the plan i had in my head it was the bread thing on the hook whiched got to me i reckon i would have doubled my catch but as they say lesson learned.
This time practise and preparation helped me on this match and at the moment seem to be picking up the results again 3rd 2nd 2nd in last three matches things seem to be looking up next match is back on the can at Bishops Canning 11th Feb 09 due to the Parrot down at Langport not being fishable.

No comments:

Post a Comment